Pages

Wednesday 24 October 2012

Gingerbread... to ice or not to ice?

My gingerbread has to be iced!  I've known some to butter their slice and some eat it plain but I LOVE it iced!  By request here is the recipe... I think I'll make this next week for Halloween, I have some orange and black food colouring and I have a snazzy ice idea using those colours, plus it's yummy!


225g plain flour
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of mixed spice
1 teaspoon of bicarbe of soda
50g of brown sugar (I use demerara) 
100g butter or margarine
175g black treacle
50g golden syrup
150ml milk
2 eggs

Put all the dry ingredients into the blender and blend until combined.  

In a pan melt the butter, treacle, syrup gently and slowly beat in the milk until combined and then set aside to cool.  Add the eggs once the mix is cool and beat until combined.  Then add into the blender and blend until all combined.  Pour into tray and cook for around 40 - 45 mins (until it's firm on top and a skewer put in the middle comes out clean).

Once cool you can ice and then it's best left for one whole day (if you can wait that long... I usually make it at night and don't eat any until the next day)... then cut into squares.

Delicious!

A x


No comments: